Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Try-it Tuesday: on Wednesday, whoops!


Hey you prepsters!

Sorry that yet again, I am a day behind! I cannot tell you how crazy things are. So, to make up for being behind schedule I’m posting two Try-it Tuesday ideas!

The first Try-it Tuesday item on the list, or perhaps I should say menu is Pecan Pie! This past Saturday for the Kentucky Derby, my mom went on a Southern cooking binge and whipped up a few Southern staples. For those of you who watch Foot Network you may know that the country singer Trisha Yearwood has a new show! My mom and sister, who are addicted to Food Network absolutely love her new show because it combines Southern hospitality with good eats! One recipe that caught my mom’s eye is Trisha’s pecan pie! I don’t know about you but I LOVE pecan pie! So, my mom decided to make it and let me tell you it was delish!!! I thought for this Try-it Tuesday I would encourage you to try Trisha Yearwood’s pecan pie recipe!
Here it is:

Ingredients
            1 cup(s) (packed) Light Brown Sugar
            1/2 cup(s) Granulated Sugar
            2 large Eggs
            1/2 cup(s) Butter, melted
            1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Vanilla Extract
            2 tablespoon(s) Milk
            1 tablespoon(s) All-Purpose Flour
            1 cup(s) Chopped Pecans
            1  (9-inch) Deep-Dish Pie Shell, unbaked, or homemade pastry
            1 cup(s) Pecan Halves

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. To make the filling, beat the sugars with the eggs in an electric mixer until creamy, about 5 minutes. Add the melted butter, vanilla, milk, flour, and chopped pecans. Pour the mixture into the shell. Arrange the pecan halves on top of the pie in a circular pattern.
3. Bake the pie for 55 minutes. Check for doneness by shaking the pan slightly. The pie should be firm, with only a slight jiggle in the center. It will set more as it cools.
4. Serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream, or at room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream.


The second thing I’m going to share with you is a little craftier! Last April I went down to Chestertown, Maryland to visit my best friend who goes to Washington College. Amanda and I have been best friends since I was 7 and she was 8 when we met in dance class and our friendship grew. Now, our sisters are best friends! Our dads are even best buds, going out to bars together, bonding over fire department talk and a bunch of other “guy” stuff!! Our moms get along extremely well too; give them a bottle of wine and a comfortable couch and they are set for the night! This past semester Amanda has been studying abroad in Scotland and it’s been so hard not talking to her every day! So, I figured what better way to make it feel like she is here than to share a craft we did together.

Back to the original story, so last April I flew down to see Amanda for a fun filled girls weekend. Chestertown is absolutely adorable with little shops right on the water. We took several day trips to nearby outlets and to Annapolis to gawk over the Navy boys and to enjoy some crab cakes! Some nights we went out and some nights we had our quality girl-movie nights where we chit chatted and crafted. One craft we decided to make was paper Mache covered wine bottles. Like I said, we went out so we had a few extra wine bottles lying around! Haha!! Since we both love Lilly Pulitzer, while we were at the outlets we picked up Lilly wrapping paper, some Mod Podge, and puffy paints. Incase you don't know what Mod Podge looks like:

First, we peeled off any labels from the wine bottles and washed them. Next, we covered the bottles in a coat of Mod Podge so the wrapping paper would stick. Next, we cut strips of the wrapping paper and covered the wine bottles with them. Once the wine bottles were covered, we coated the bottles in Mod Podge to smooth the paper and add a glossy touch. Once the bottles were dry, to took the puffy paints and decorated them!

  
P.S.-We bought the wrapping paper in the floaters pattern because my family, really me and my dad, has this things with seahorses. Anything with seahorses I have to buy! 

Now, I have mine displayed in my room so I can remember how much fun that weekend was and how lucky I am to have a best friend like Amanda!
Amanda and Me on New Years Eve 2012!

So, there are some Try-it Tuesday suggestions! Now go try them!
Let me know what you think!!

Preppily yours,
The Practical Prepster

No comments:

Post a Comment