Sunday, September 2, 2012

Weekend Where-abouts on this final weekend of summer!

Hi there!

Happy almost Labor Day! 
Tomorrow, while many will be BBQing away or resting on the beach with their toes in the sand, I will be of course laboring away at VV (after all wasn't the day intending for laboring?...kidding!) So far I have had a pretty eventful weekend! Friday I was working in the morning,  then after work I went out to diner at the yacht club that my family belongs to. I think I've explained this before but I can't recall... the "yacht" club we belong to is not for yacht owners. In fact, its basically for anyone but yacht owners. Its just a nice club that we belong to where we can take the boat to and enjoy the beach or pool and dinners by the water. While it is a luxury, its not as hoity toity as the name gives off! 

Saturday morning I tried something new, I went paddle boarding! It seems to be the latest water sport to do! It's funny, in celebrity gossip magazine you always see Jennifer Anniston up on the board looking gorgeous as always, making the paddling process seem completely effortless. Well, let me tell you, it's NOT! After getting strapped into the life jacket and being briefed on the basics of paddle boarding, I was given a paddle and thrown in the water to fend for myself. The attendant's parting words to me as I left the dock were, I can't do this to save my life but good luck! Granted, I did not stand up right away, the departure process was still nerve wracking! I kneeled for a good portion of the time because to find your balance on those boards is almost impossible! So for a while, I paddled around on my knees but once my knees started to hurt, there wasn't much else I could do other than to attempt to stand up! I paddled closer to shore so that if I had to get off I could stand and get back on. Although, I suppose attempting to stand on the board in shallow water wasn't the best idea because with my lack of coordination, I most definitely could've fallen and hit my head. But, by the miracle of some paddle boarding god, I was able to stand up on the board without falling in! Now, don't think I stood up in one shot! It took be about 10 minutes before I could actually find my center of balance and have enough courage and strength to stand up all the way! I'm sure the people on the beach loved the show I put on for them! Regardless, I finally stood up! Although my knees were shaking terribly because I was so afraid of moving a millimeter from my center of balance, I quickly got the hang of it and enjoyed the experience! Paddle boarding was always something I wanted to try and now that I've done it, I can say that I would definitely do it again. However, I have to admit, I did not plan on being as sore from it as I am today. At work I could hardly bend down because my legs were so tense from trying not to move while I was on the board! It just goes to show how even though you're standing on a board, you really are exercising! Definitely give it a try!

Today, I was at work all day. Since it is the holiday weekend, all of the stores, including Vineyard Vines, are having huge end of the seasons sales, and you know what that means...mayhem!! From the moment the doors opened up until the time I left, the store was packed with people taking advantage of the sales and getting their back to school shopping in. On top of dealing with the craziness, my coworkers and I were trying to get the store back in order since our manager, who has been on vacation for the past week, is back in tomorrow, and lucky me I get to open with her so anything out of order gets blamed on me! Lets see how tomorrow goes!

After work I went to my family friends house on the beach again. My family and I have been there several times this past summer because this is the first season that they have had the house. Tonight they were having a Labor Day BBQ with family, friends and some neighbors. It was nice to head to the beach straight from work to catch the sunset! The way my moms best friend has it decorated is like something out of a Pottery Barn magazine! The nautical and seaside elements don't let you forget you're beachside! It was definitely a great way to end the summer! Take a look at some pictures I took before we left!

Here is my mom helping out in the kitchen. I love the whicker dining set!

This is the living room. Again, there is the whicker furniture. Throughout the entire house the color scheme is blue and while, very nautical! Also, I love the surfboard hanging from the wall as well as the bench seating by the window so you can look out onto the ocean!

This is the media center that is built into the wall in the living room. There is also a fireplace under the TV, incase there's a cool summer night! 

Anyway, it's time for me to relax because I have to be at work by 9 tomorrow. After work I am going to try to catch a few last minute rays of sun before class starts again on Tuesday. It hasn't hit me that summer is over; it flew by! Anyway, lets enjoy the last day before reality sets in again!

Happy Labor Day! And if I don't get on here tomorrow, good luck with the first day of school!

Preppily yours, 
The Practical Prepster

No comments:

Post a Comment